Pages

Monday 17 January 2011

New beginnings ...

Everyone these days seems to have a blog. What makes this one any different?

My name’s Dominic Burns and I’m a self-employed personal trainer in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I set-up my own business, FeelGoodPT in March 2010 and, despite still being fresh to the fitness industry, my resolution this year is to transform even more lives through fitness.

I’ve set up this blog to log my progress, to share my knowledge of fitness and weight loss and to help anyone out there who, like me, is new to working for themselves but has ambitious dreams!

It’d be great to hear from you and have your support – please drop me a line.

Here’s what I’m setting myself to achieve this year:
  • Double my client list (I’ve got 10 regulars at the moment) – and eventually be in a position to hire other PTs to handle the list
  • Start training clients online as well as in person
  • Create more effective marketing that gets noticed and gets clients
  • Keep learning (I’m aiming to do through online courses this year)

It all sounds straight forward enough – on paper. In practice it’s already proving hectic. Last week I was juggling online learning (ptonthenet.com) along with moving into a new flat.

Despite all that, I’ve already made a start in getting online clients. I’ll be writing a programme for a guy who’s just off to uni, so I’ll be training him remotely (he’s the son of a regular client – so referrals really do work) Once he’s back at the end of Jan, I’ll kick off with some face-to-face sessions. Watch this space.

My regular clients are also keeping me busy since Christmas. I’ve found that some of my regulars got a bit distracted by the festive spirit, eating too many treats ... BUT, they kept up the exercise, which will definitely help keep them on the road to recovery, and they’re really motivated and ready to make a change now.

If you’re starting a fitness plan this month, start with small, sustainable steps. Don't try and change too quickly. The key to success in fitness is in sustainability in training and nutrition. Think about the small stepping stones you need to achieve your bigger goal this year, and start making one of those changes this month. 

Good luck!

1 comment: