Pages

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Conversation starters

After having a very old scrappy pair of old trainers that I’d had for far too long, I thought it was time to get a new pair and improve my professional image. At Fitpro’s Spring Convention I treated myself to a pair of Vibram FiveFingers shoes. I really wasn’t sure what I thought about them, but decided to just go for it.

After training and wearing them I have found some interesting benefits. Leaving aside how they feel and the physiological implications, they are fantastic conversation starters.

From wearing them, having a branded personal training T-shirt and business cards I have gained two clients from conversations started in a supermarket and pub. I’ve found that they make a statement; people ask you questions about them and why you’re wearing them. This then gives you an opportunity to make a sneaky sales pitch.

I explain to them the benefits and then ask them questions about what shoes they currently wear for their training/sports. After you have found out how active they are (or not!) it gives you a great opportunity to provide them with some information about how they can improve their training and how you can benefit them as a personal trainer.

I always try to make sure I ask open questions and, importantly, leave them with a way to contact me by giving them one of my business cards. If anyone else has any interesting ways to get a conversation with potential clients going then let me know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment